Imply: Software Engineer – Backend/Java
Imply is behind a data platform that’s used at some of the largest companies in the world to answer complex questions from trillions of events and data points in less than a second. To power our platform, we build and maintain Apache Druid, an open-source real-time analytical database used at thousands of companies. Our customers use Imply to answer questions from “What do tweens in North Carolina who listen to Justin Bieber like to buy“ to “What updates to our infrastructure have caused the CPU to spike when some customers from Europe hit our servers” to “Why are we seeing an increase in traffic going through our backbone from Japan as opposed to being routed internally?”
We are a collaborative and supportive team. We measure our individual success by how well our team does and by how well we push each other to grow professionally. We believe teams should have significant say in what they build and how, and therefore should be responsible for the eventual success of what they’re building, whether it’s in ensuring customers can use it or sales people can sell it or support people can support it. As part of Imply, you’ll get exposure and ownership over how whatever you build fits not just with the rest of the product but with the rest of the org.
We’re looking for a talented Software Engineer who is passionate about building web-scale distributed systems that are used at thousands of companies around the world. You would be working within a small team of multi-talented engineers, implementing reliable distributed systems, and dealing with huge volumes of data.
You might work on:
- Web services that interact with vast troves of data to answer complex questions
- Services to manage, monitor, and scale large clusters of a distributed real-time data warehouse (Apache Druid)
- Building security layers that provide differentiated access to data based on the user
- Building automated root-cause analysis systems that can automatically find problems and notify users
- Creating ML infrastructure for serving data science use cases around training and feature modeling
- Improving reliability of systems that can consist of thousands of nodes and petabytes of data
Ideal experience and skills:
- 3-6 years experience building large-scale production backends using Java
- Experience with REST APIs, SQL, web services, authentication and authorization mechanisms, etc.
- Experience with Cloud services, Kubernetes, Big Data systems is a plus
- A history of open-source contributions is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
Imply is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.