Imply is behind a data platform that’s used at some of the largest companies in the world to answer complex questions from trillions of events and data points in less than a second. To power our platform, we build and maintain Apache Druid, an open-source real-time analytical database used at thousands of companies. Our customers use Imply to answer questions from “What do tweens in North Carolina who listen to Justin Bieber like to buy“ to “What updates to our infrastructure have caused the CPU to spike when some customers from Europe hit our servers” to “Why are we seeing an increase in traffic going through our backbone from Japan as opposed to being routed internally?”
We are a collaborative and supportive team. We measure our individual success by how well our team does and by how well we push each other to grow professionally. We believe teams should have significant say in what they build and how, and therefore should be responsible for the eventual success of what they’re building, whether it’s in ensuring customers can use it or sales people can sell it or support people can support it. As part of Imply, you’ll get exposure and ownership over how whatever you build fits not just with the rest of the product but with the rest of the org.
We’re looking to hire a Support Engineer, remote, to engage with Imply customers to guide them through the architecture, development, and operations of the Imply product and the open-source Druid
data store. We’re a small team with a quickly growing customer base, so you’ll have a chance to have a big impact and wear multiple hats. Ideally, you have worked in a customer-facing role, are intrigued by cutting-edge technical challenges, and want to work with some of the largest and fastest big data architectures in the world.
What you’ll be doing at Imply:
- Execute deep troubleshooting and drive resolution of customer issues as expediently as possible with the highest quality within customer-committed Service Level Agreements
- Diagnose and isolate problems from anywhere within the technical stack
- Drive useful content to internal and customer-facing documentation including the customer knowledge base and community
- Will occasionally require night and weekend on-call scheduling for customer critical support needs
Required experience and skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field
- Experience in 1+ areas of:
- Databases: deep knowledge of how they work, and the differences among them
- Big data: e.g. ETL; manipulation of data larger than can fit in Excel
- Linux systems experience: seasoned on the command line; comfortable with built-in tools like top, iostat, lsof, and netstat
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting fundamentals
- Experience in analyzing system, network, and application log files and system performance metrics to diagnose and troubleshoot problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized and able to work effectively in a remote location
- A team player mentality – we will succeed only as a strong team
- Be defined by your “Helper Gene”, Do you thrive in helping others achieve success?
Having these will set you apart as a candidate:
- Knowledge and experience with big data architecture on-premise and in cloud environments like AWS or GCP
- Experience with streaming platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis
- Time spent building, administering Hadoop environments
- JVM operations experience
- Experience with Druid or related big data systems like Elasticsearch, InfluxDB, Pinot
- Experience in scripting / programming
Imply is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.