This October, join the Apache Spark community in Amsterdam at the Beurs Van Berlage for the very first Spark Summit in Europe! We are happy to announce that the full agenda is now finalized, you can find the full list of 39 community talks along with the first set of keynotes on Spark-Summit.org. Those looking to get hands-on with Spark are encouraged to sign up for one of our workshops.
The phenomenal growth of the global Spark community is reflected in the development of the Spark Summit events. The Spark Summit started as a gathering of 450 early adopters in 2013. After doubling in size in 2014, the Spark Summit grew to host events in multiple cities in 2015 – in San Francisco and New York, with over 3,000 combined attendees. Given the rapid growth of the European Spark Community, we are thrilled to bring the first Spark Summit to Europe as well!
The first European Spark Summit will have a wide variety of content, catering to different interests. Attendees will hear from production users of Spark, Spark SQL, Spark Streaming, MLlib, and related projects; find out where the project development is going; and learn how to use the Spark stack in a variety of applications.
Here is a brief highlight of what to expect in Amsterdam.
Thought leaders will share their perspective on the growth of Spark in their respective organizations and provide examples of large-scale production use cases:
- Matei Zaharia, Creator of Spark and CTO at Databricks
- Ion Stoica, CEO at Databricks
- Martin Odersky, Founder at Typesafe
- Quentin Clark, CTO at SAP
- Rob Anderson, VP Worldwide Systems Engineering at MapR
- Vincent Saulys, VP at Goldman Sachs
Community Talk Highlights
We would like to thank everyone who submitted a presentation, and congratulate the selected community talk presenters. The tracks for Spark Summit EU are organized by four themes: Developer, use cases, data science, and research.
Check out a sample of the topics (see full list of topics here):
- 3 Trillion App recommendations, with less than 100 Lines of Spark Code in less than 25 Minutes – Ayman Farahat (Yahoo)
- Hundreds of queries in the time of one – Sam Savage & Gianmario Spacagna (Barclays)
- Spark in Production: Lessons from 100+ production users – Aaron Davidson (Databricks)
- Making better news with Spark – Philip Wills (The Guardian)
- A Scalable Implementation of Deep Learning on Spark – Alexander Ulanov (Hewlett-Packard Labs) & Xiangrui Meng (Databricks)
- Data Science at Scale: Using Apache Spark for Data Science at Bitly – Sarah Guido (Bitly)
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Our esteemed sponsors are instrumental in bringing Spark Summit Europe to life. You’ve heard this before but without our sponsors, the Summits wouldn’t happen.