Databricks Certification and Badging
The new standard for lakehouse training and certifications
Databricks Certified Data Analyst Associate
The Databricks Certified Data Analyst Associate certification exam assesses an individual’s ability to use the Databricks SQL service to complete introductory data analysis tasks. This includes an understanding of the Databricks SQL service and its capabilities, an ability to manage data with Databricks tools following best practices, using SQL to complete data tasks in the Lakehouse, creating production-grade data visualizations and dashboards, and developing analytics applications to solve common data analytics problems. Individuals who pass this certification exam can be expected to complete basic data analysis tasks using Databricks SQL and its associated capabilities.
In order to achieve this certification, earners must pass a certification exam. In order to achieve this certification, please either log in or create an account in our certification platform.
This certification is part of the Data Analyst learning pathway.
Key details about the certification exam are provided below.
Minimally Qualified Candidate
The minimally qualified candidate should be able to:
- Describe Databricks SQL and its capabilities, including:
- Databricks SQL (users, benefits, queries, dashboards, compute)
- Integrations (Partner Connect, data ingestion, other BI tools)
- Lakehouse (medallion architecture, streaming data)
- Manage data with Databricks tools and best practices, including:
- Delta Lake (basics, benefits)
- Storage and Management (tables, databases, views, Data Explorer)
- Security (table ownership, PII data)
- Use Structured Query Language (SQL) to complete tasks in the Lakehouse, including:
- Basic SQL (basic query structure, combining data, aggregations)
- Complex Data (nested data objects, roll-ups, windows, cubes)
- SQL in the Lakehouse (ANSI SQL, working with silver-level data, query history, higher-order functions, user-defined functions)
- Create production-grade data visualizations and dashboards, including:
- Visualization (Databricks SQL capabilities, types of visualizations, storytelling with data)
- Dashboarding (Databricks SQL capabilities, parameterized dashboards and queries, sharing)
- Production (refresh schedules, query alerts)
- Develop analytics applications to solve common data analytics problems, including:
- Descriptive Statistics (discrete statistics, summary statistics)
- Common Applications (data enhancement, data blending, last-mile ETL)
Testers will have 90 minutes to complete the certification exam.
There are 45 multiple-choice questions on the certification exam. The questions will be distributed by high-level topic in the following way:
- Databricks SQL – 22% (10/45)
- Data Management – 20% (9/45)
- SQL – 29% (13/45)
- Data Visualization and Dashboards – 18% (8/45)
- Analytics Applications – 11% (5/45)
Each attempt of the certification exam will cost the tester $200. Testers might be subjected to tax payments depending on their location. Testers are able to retake the exam as many times as they would like, but they will need to pay $200 for each attempt.
There are no test aids available during this exam.
The certification exam will assess the tester’s ability to use SQL. In all cases, the SQL in this certification exam adheres to ANSI SQL standards.
Because of the speed at which the responsibilities of a data analyst and capabilities of the Databricks Lakehouse Platform change, this certification is valid for 2 years following the date on which each tester passes the certification exam.
In order to learn the content assessed by the certification exam, candidates should take the following Databricks Academy courses:
- Instructor-led: Data Analysis with Databricks SQL
- Self-paced (available in Databricks Academy): Data Analysis with Databricks SQL
Candidates are also able to learn more about the certification exam by taking the certification exam’s overview course (coming soon).